Thursday 9 October 2014

Super Seitan At Last!


We have experimented with making seitan in the past and although I have still enjoyed the results I have to say I didn't think I had quite nailed it; whether boiled or baked. That is until now when I happened across a recipe on "Yeah That 'Vegan Shit'" blog, which by the way is an entertaining experience!  Yep, this is 'the one' I reckon.  Ironically I used up the last of my vital wheat gluten on this recipe so will have to put in an order before I can get my hands on more of this lovely stuff!  Check out the recipe from the above link; you won't be disappointed.  

So once it's made what do you do with it?  Well, I had this thing about making a mushroom and red wine sauce to go with it.  It turned out to be very yummy with an unusual hint of sophistication within the realms of the Driftwood Vegan household.  I served it with a potato salad with a side of salad type stuff like lettuce, cucumber (for me only as Phil hates it) and beetroot.  I would most certainly do it again.....as soon as the next delivery of vital wheat gluten arrives.  It is also good thinly sliced for sandwiches by the way.

Seitan with Mushroom and Red Wine Sauce

Glug of olive or rapeseed oil x 2
1 onion sliced
8oz mushrooms sliced
1 clove garlic crushed
1/2 glass of vegan red wine approx (leave some to drink too!)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
1 tsp fresh or dried parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
8 fl oz veggie stock (I used a tomato and herb based one)
1 tsp cornflour
8-10 slices of the above seitan recipe
Some plain flour (about 2 tablespoons maybe)

1.  Pop the first glug of oil in the bottom of a saucepan and heat before adding the sliced onion.  Cook until slightly translucent and then add the sliced mushrooms and crushed garlic.  Cook until lightly browned; about 10 minutes with stirring.

2.  Whisk together the red wine, mustard, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper then add this to the mushroom and onion mixture and cook for about 5 minutes.

3.  Add the corn flour to the warm veggie stock and mix well before then adding to the main mixture and cooking for maybe 15 minutes more to reduce and thicken slightly. That's the sauce all sorted now so just keep warm whilst you attend to the seitan.

4.  Heat the second glug of oil in a frying pan.  Coat the seitan slices in flour before then frying until slightly browned.

5.  Pop the seitan slices on the serving plate and slaver generously with the sauce.

Enjoy!

As mentioned above I served this with potato salad which I made the following way (although I really cannot remember the ratios but hey you get the idea!) - 

'I Really Can't Remember the Details' Potato Salad

Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Hemp seeds
Spring onion
Vegan mayo
Salt and pepper
Sprinkle of  Inspiral Raw Superfood Salad Sprinkles Pizzeria

Cook up the potatoes and sweet potatoes until tender but with a slight hint of bite. Drain and then let cool slightly before adding in as much of the other ingredients as your natural instinct tells you to!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment