Monday 9 March 2015

Apertures - A Photographic Study of Windows

Most people cannot resist a peek through a window.  Whether you are outside looking in or inside looking out, a window has a way of framing a story, an emotion or a curiosity that draws people in and through.  I love looking from within and I also enjoy taking the outside perspective but mostly I study the thing that sits between; the window itself.  It is the aperture between both.

A few years ago I started taking photographs of windows.  I didn't realise it at the time. Then one day, whilst photographing the bright green surround of a window on a houseboat in Sri Lanka, it occurred to me that this wasn't my first window and I had a series of window shots. Then I started looking for windows wherever I went. Whether it was a conventional solid Cornish window, an elaborate but decaying window in Portugal, a prehistoric cave 'window', a slug trail decorated greenhouse window or the mere shadow of a window; I endeavoured to capture it.  So I thought I'd share some of my windows and, at the same time try my hand at making my first little book; Apertures.

An aperture is an opening, such as a window.  It also, in photographic terms, partly defines the amount of light and focus on an image.  It seemed an appropriate title for my opening photographic study of windows.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment