Thursday 12 January 2017

First Crack of The Vegg


Whilst I found the introduction of The Vegg and Follow Your Heart VeganEgg in the last year or so interesting, I wasn't intrigued enough to splash out on either of these egg substitute powders, particularly so as I thought the latter was over packaged.  After all, I found it difficult to see how a good old fashioned tofu scrambles could be improved upon. 

Then just before Christmas, and whilst shopping on Veganstore for seasonal goodies, I noticed they sold small sample bags of The Vegg and one of them ended up in my basket.  I thought I'd give it a go after all.

At the weekend, with the wind and rain lashing the window with force, an afternoon indoors experimenting in the kitchen seemed like the more desirable option.  I reached for The Vegg sample with a quiche in mind to go with a colourful palette of winter salads to counter the less than colourful weather outside.  The wonders of the quiche are that you can add whatever vegetables you fancy or have available into the filling.  I wanted however to keep it simple so that I could get a real feel for the results of The Vegg mixture.  Just onions, mushrooms and tomatoes, with a hint of garlic went in the mix, with a good sprinkle of vegan cheese on top.

For the pastry I had to freestyle a bit!  I discovered I didn't have much plain flour left. However, with buckwheat and spelt flour stocks high, a healthier style pastry was the obvious choice anyway to compliment the salad accompaniment. Luckily, despite my random free styling and guesswork, it turned out tasty.  With hindsight I would have rolled it out a little thinner but there wasn't a soggy patch in sight regardless!

And my impression of The Vegg?  I was really pleased with the resulting quiche and it got the definite thumbs up from Phil.  Would it be enough to make me buy a big packet? Hmmm, not totally sure at the moment.  The leftover quiche we had for lunch the next day nearly swayed me, but really the results weren't significantly different to some results I'd had without it.  I do however have quite a lot of the small sample packet left, so there may be many more experiments ahead and perhaps by the end of the packet (or even when I next use it), I would have been totally convinced.

First Crack Vegg Quiche
This recipe made two small quiches and the large one pictured above.

The Free Styling Pastry
40g plain flour
40g buckwheat flour
220g spelt flour
1 teaspoon vegan bouillon powder
80ml oil (I used part rapeseed and part olive)
80ml plant milk (I used soya milk on this occasion)

Put the flours in a bowl with the bouillon and mix together.  Add the oil and rub in so it resembles bread crumbs. Then add the milk bit by bit until you have a dough that holds together and can be rolled out (you may not need all the milk - don't make it too sticky). 

Roll out to about a half cm thickness (as mentioned above I rolled mine a bit too thick so would go for this thickness next time).  Line your chosen greased pie cases with the pastry.  Part bake for about 10 minutes at 200 degrees C.

The Filling
Touch of oil for frying
1 medium onion diced
1 clove garlic crushed
6 medium mushrooms sliced
4 teaspoons of The Vegg powder
1 cup water
180g silken tofu
Salt and pepper
8 cherry tomatoes halved
Grated cheese for the top to your cheesy taste!

Fry the onion and garlic in the oil for 5 minutes or until translucent.  Add the mushrooms and cook until softened and slightly browned.  Add the mixture to the bottom of the part baked pastry cases.

Blend The Vegg and water until completely incorporated.  Add the tofu and blend again until smooth.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Pour the mixture over the onion and mushroom mixture and smooth over. Top with cherry tomato halves (cut side up) and grated cheese.  Bake for 45 minutes at 200 degrees C until firm and slightly browned on top (do keep a check though as our oven is really old!).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment