Friday 8 May 2015

Nature Inspired Art

In nature, mathematics, and the arts, two quantities are said to be in the 'golden section' if the ratio between the sum of those quantities and the larger one is the same as the ratio between the larger one and the smaller. Yeah.....whatever!!!!

Yes, I did indeed learn about this 'rule' when I was studying photography and yes, I do find myself subconsciously applying this when taking photographs a fair amount. However, the bottom line is that nature is endlessly creative, and people create art inspired by nature. So enough of the science, rules, and explanations and let's just be creative and appreciate nature.  I hate maths anyway.



The above video of strobe animated sculptures is just one such example of nature inspired work that utilises the 'golden section' to hypnotic effect.

Phil and I are hugely influenced by nature; physically, emotionally, and therefore creatively.  After all, isn't surfing a wave a form of art? And I have lost count of the amount of times a small patch of light, texture, or shape, that has momentarily appeared in my pathway and field of view, has stopped me in my tracks and had me reaching for my camera.

Phil spent many a happy moment on our recent trip in Portugal creating and 'playing' with rocks Michael Grab style on beaches whilst I roamed at the opposite end searching the details of nature for beautiful forms to capture and photograph.  This is how nature can be appreciated, entertaining and creatively inspiring.  In addition, Phil found that the practice of placing the stones needed a calm mind and a steady hand, which created a sense of grounding and balance within himself. Interacting with nature in this way produced an unexpected harmonising and healing effect. You could say it was natural art therapy.


No comments:

Post a Comment