Tuesday 9 January 2018

Jo's Vegan Nosh


If there is one book you should get this Veganuary it's Jo's Vegan Nosh. On the merits of the tasty, comforting but predominantly simple vegan recipes it contains alone it is a must (and actually a very cheap buy at just £5).  However there is more to it than that. 

Jo's Vegan Nosh is a collection of recipes devised by Jo or donated to Jo by friends and family over the years and now collated in her memory.  All the proceeds from the sale go to organisations helping animals and the Penny Brohn Cancer Support charity.  Some of you may have known Jo as Jo Badger or her real name, Joanna Robertson.  She sadly died of cancer in 2013 at the young age of 36.  Regardless of whether you knew Jo or not you should know that this book represents a small part of what she was about, and how many people knew and loved her.  I can vouch for that as I spent time with Jo many years ago 'in the field' and although we moved in separate directions, her east and me west, and lost touch, I will always remember the sheer determination, energy, love, dedication, braveness and compassion Jo showed to whomever and whatever, furry or not, crossed her path. 

This book is a treasure to me now and every time I cook a recipe from it I will think of Jo.  I bought copies for a couple of mutual friends too as I know they will treasure it also.  

If you knew Jo you will either have already bought this book or upon reading this I'm sure you will now.  If you didn't know Jo, please do buy a copy anyway as the likes of Jo don't come along that much and her legacy is something definitely worth supporting.  The recipes are damn tasty too.

You can buy copies from either the Viva! online shop, Animal Aid's online shop, from Ebay or for an increasing list of stockists around the country and more information visit Jo's Vegan Nosh Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment