Thursday 8 February 2018

It's Nuts To Eat Ice Cream In This Weather!


It is the weather for voolly (vegan woolly) hats and gloves, inside out umbrellas and ducks at the moment.  It is certainly not the weather for ice cream; unless you're us of course.  We are not ones to stick to seasonal food dictates, so when I picked up an old copy of Veganlife magazine from August 2017 and happened upon a recipe for pistachio ice cream there was no way the pounding hail against the window was going to put me off making it.

I nearly got put off making it however when I saw the price of pistachio nut butter;  one of the defining ingredients in the recipe.  It was £7 for a small jar!  However with only 3 tablespoons of the nut butter needed for just one tub, and one jar able to make 3 tubs, it works out cheaper than shop bought vegan ice cream offerings out there.  

Taste wise too; well we are just about to make our third tub so that should answer that one!  Hmmm, I feel an addiction coming on, as well as an empty jar of pistachio nut butter!

The recipe is a simple mix of soya milk (I used hemp though), soya cream (I used Oatly), the aforementioned pistachio butter and sugar (I used coconut sugar), with a sprinkling of chopped pistachios added whilst churning it.  It is more than the sum of its parts believe me; proving that you don't have to include a massive amount of ingredients to achieve tasty results.

Unfortunately it's not my recipe so I am not about to breach copyright and share it in its entirety.  If you have the August 2017 edition of Veganlife magazine though, break it out and have a gander on page 94 and there you will find it. 

Failing that the good news is that the original recipe is from a rather interesting book called 'The Best Homemade Vegan Cheese and Ice Cream Recipes'.   Even the compiling of just cheese and ice cream recipes in one book is an unusual concept and to see it includes such recipes as kombucha cheese is peaking my interest even more, and I may end up grabbing a copy myself.  

Ice cream weather it might not be but we will be eating this pistachio ice cream every day given the choice.  We might just have to save up for another pot of pistachio nut butter first though (or start making our own)!

No comments:

Post a Comment